Park Rules & Regulations
Dogs in Township Parks
Dogs are not permitted in the Township's smaller parks and playgrounds including Cherokee Ranch, Hyde Park, Reading Crest, South Temple, Stoudt's Ferry and Temple.
When you and your dog visit our other parks such as the Rail Trail, areas along the Schuylkill River including Jim Dietrich Park and areas along Laurel Run please follow these simple rules:
- Dogs must be currently licensed and vaccinated;
- Dogs are not permitted on any athletic field, court or sports area;
- Dogs must be leashed at all times and the leash must be no longer than six feet;
- Waste must be collected immediately and then properly disposed;
- Dog owners are responsible for all injuries and damage caused by their pet.
- Your cooperation with these simple rules will be appreciated by all other visitors plus it will help insure that dogs continue to be welcome in the Township parks.
Rules Governing Use of Muhlenberg Township Parks & Recreation Areas
- Permits are required:
- To reserve a facility in any park
- To consume alcoholic beverages
- To use locked facilities
- Whenever twenty or more individuals will be in attendance
- To stay after park hours
- All requests for use of park and recreation areas must be submitted on the appropriate application and permit forms provided. Permits must be signed in the Parks and Recreation Office within 3 to 5 business days after receipt of application. No reservation will be held without payment. A copy of the approved or denied permit will be issued by the Park and Recreation Office. Reservations will be considered on a first come-first served basis.
- Requests for permission to consume beverages must be included on the application form. There is an additional $100 surcharge for alcoholic beverages. Be informed: under no circumstances are individuals under the age of 21 years permitted to violate state law by the possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages regardless of permission granted on this application.
- No permit shall be issued to any individual under the age of 25 years. The "person responsible" listed on the permit is jointly and severally liable for all costs, expenses, fees and all property damage and/or personal injury occurring or sustained by any individual in attendance.
- Rental fees required for use of the facility will be determined according to the current rental policy. All fees shall be submitted together with the application. No permit will be approved until such time that these fees are paid or special arrangements for payment have been approved by the Director.
- Refunds will only be granted under the following circumstances:
- Functions that are not approved
- Functions that are cancelled at least 4 weeks prior to the scheduled date
- Groups are responsible for all areas and contents during the entire time of their occupancy. Any damage will be the financial responsibility of the group and/or the "person responsible" to whom the permit is issued.
- Fires may not be built or allowed anywhere in Park areas except in stoves or fireplaces designated for that purpose.
- Groups using facilities that are normally locked such as buildings, restrooms or electric panel must pick up the necessary keys at the office during normal business hours one or two days before use. A $20 deposit fee is required which will be refunded upon return of all keys.
- Groups requesting equipment loan service for their outings must contact the office a minimum of two weeks in advance to reserve the equipment and to make arrangements for pick up. A deposit and user fee must be submitted according to existing policies. A limited number of those Kits are available which will be distributed on a first come-first served basis.
- Profit making activities are strictly prohibited except those conducted by a resident charitable, civic, or church organization. These organizations may conduct a maximum of two profit making functions in any calendar year, which must be separated by a minimum of six weeks.
- While the township will insure that no group other than the permittee is approved for use of a facility during any time period, a public notice reserving this area will not be posted. Note: parks remain open to the public at all times.
- All organizations using any Park area are required to return it to its proper condition prior to leaving, to include:
- Storage and/or arrangements of tables, chairs, etc.
- All doors and windows closed and locked
- Trash in proper containers.
- All decorations, signs, etc. removed
- Lights off (except where designated)
- Groups neglecting to return the Facility into proper condition will be charged according to the security deposit criteria for all extraordinary custodial duties required.
- All activity must be concluded at such time as is required for the group to return the facility to its proper condition and be vacated prior to their respective closing times. Regular park closing time is 7 a.m. to Sunset. Parks hours with a reservation are 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Rental hours for Jim Dietrich Farmhouse and the Recreation Building are from 7 a.m. to Midnight.
- The Township reserved the right to require adequate supervision of all functions involving individuals under 21 years of age. A minimum of one responsible adult, 21 year of age or older, must be present for each 20 individuals in attendance under 21 years of age at all functions. Additional supervision may be required as deemed necessary.
- Whenever any conduct or acts of individuals or a group is determined to be in violation of the rules governing use of this facility or in violation of any statues, ordinances, or regulation of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or the Township of Muhlenberg, the deviant group's privilege to use the facility will be terminated immediately and they will be expelled from Township Property. In addition to expulsion, the Muhlenberg Township Police Department may arrest and detain any individual(s) or issue citation(s).
- The person responsible who signed the permit for use of this facility must be present during the entire period of use.
- In case of emergencies regarding use of facilities, contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 610-929-1503. If there is no answer, contact the Muhlenberg Township Operations Supervisor at 610-301-7964.